Saturday, 14 February 2015


IUSU MPs visits Ugandan Parliament


By Bukuri Kakooza


Over 50 Islamic University Students Union (IUSU) Members of Parliament yesterday had a visit to Ugandan Parliament in a move titled “Bye bye 2014-2015 Parliament .” which ended up being memorable day and event to majority of the MPs being their first time to reach in the city. The delegation was headed by IUSU speaker Rt.hon Muhammad Saidi who according to reliable sources it was also his first time to have a look on Uganda’s Legislative house in Capital Kampala. The one who came leading ended up being led by a junior MP. “This house is big.” Saidi said.

UIUI best 2014 Medical Investor in Uganda

Bukuri Kakooza
Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU) was named the best 2014 medical Investor in Uganda during the official launch of habib Medical School at Kampala campus in Kibuli . The certificate was received by the vice Chairman University council Hon Al-hajj Kirunda Kivejija from per permanent secretary Ministry of Health Mr. Asuman Lukwago.
According to the annual health sector performance report of 2013/2014 , out of the 1, 218 staffing norm for the Ministry of Health ,only 941 doctors were currently employed in various government hospitals , which translates into a shortage of 227 doctors . With opening of a new medical school, the University administration hopes to boost the current workforce in the near future after graduating its pioneer students. “The IUIU Habib Medical School we are officially opening today started on October 27, 2014 with 55 pioneer students ,” Dr Ahmed Kawesa Sengendo , the Rector of IUIU, said during the launch in Kampala.
The school is part of IUIUs expansion programme which also includes the creation of faculty of Engineering in 2015.
Habib Medical School is the sixth medical school to be opened in Uganda.

Museveni acts as Muslim decry of their girl



 It has emerged that Sarah Kagingo, the controversial presidential assistant on communication, is back in her job at State House. Sources in state house have told us that Kagingo, whose job became a matter of intense speculation for months last year until she was fired and put under investigation, has been quietly reinstated by President Museveni.
Kagingo’s sacking was announced in a state house statement last year, following highly-publicized in-fighting amongst state house employees. The quarrel appeared to pit some of the most senior state house staff against Kagingo. All along, Kagingo neither confirmed she was out nor insisted she was still at state house; but the president’s press secretary, Tamale Mirundi, often declared that she had been fired.
“She is no longer at state house. She is masquerading as our employee,” Mirundi was once quoted as having said, in response to questions about Kagingo’s job.
The alleged sacking happened late in October 2014 during Museveni’s visit to the Vatican.  A state house statement that announced her sacking also indicated that the tech-savvy presidential aide was under police investigation .
Days later, the police denied receiving any such orders.
Confusion reigned as Kagingo continued to post on her Facebook page real time updates of President Museveni’s activities, competing with the new managers of the president’s online platforms.

DEATH THREATS
As the rivalry intensified, it was alleged that Kagingo received death threats, which she reported to Muyenga community police station. In the wake of last year’s killing of Muslim clerics, Kagingo’s plight was brought to the attention of President Museveni during a meeting with a group of sheikhs from Kibuli.
Kagingo hails from one of the most prominent Muslim families in Ankole but with roots in Buganda. The Kibuli sheikhs reportedly vented their anger at the alleged witch-hunt of Muslims in government, citing the Kagingo saga.  
“She might be killed soon,” one sheikh is reported to have said, according to our sources.
Museveni reportedly assured the Muslim leaders that he had not ordered Kagingo’s sacking and promised to handle her case with urgency. After meeting the sheikhs, Museveni eventually met Kagingo on January 25 in Soroti, on the eve of the NRM liberation day celebrations. Museveni, according to our sources, kept the January 25 meeting at the Soroti state lodge a secret from many of his handlers.
Interviewed for this story on February 7, Kagingo declined to divulge details of her meeting with the president.  But a reliable source said Kagingo poured her heart out to the president, telling him how she had been mistreated by some senior staff at state house. During that meeting, Museveni reportedly ordered that Kagingo be reinstated.

FIRST ASSIGNMENT
When news of her presence at state lodge, Soroti, got to Maj Edith Nakalema, the president’s private secretary in charge of secretarial duties, and one of those who were not getting along with Kagingo before she was fired, she allegedly stormed the place but found Kagingo walking out of the meeting room.
The Special Forces Command soldiers reportedly restrained the two women from any ugly confrontation. After the NRM day celebrations, Museveni travelled to Pakwach where he commissioned the Shs 11.7bn Andibo valley dam and an FM radio station belonging to Fred Omach, the minister of state for Finance.
Before he left, we have been told, Museveni assigned Kagingo to attend to some Arab visitors whom he was scheduled to meet in the evening of January 28 at Nakasero state lodge. Unaware of her apparent reinstatement, Nakalema allegedly threatened to arrest the soldiers on duty for letting a non-staff into state house, a source said.
Maj Nakalema is said to have calmed down after learning that the soldiers had cleared Kagingo upon getting instructions from Museveni. Asked to comment on her run-ins with Maj Nakalema, Kagingo again declined to comment.
Efforts to get a comment from Tamale Mirundi also failed, as he did not answer his phone  yesterday. But when she featured on NTV’s Sunday evening talk show, Fourth Estate, on February 8, Kagingo confirmed that she was back to her job, and that the president had advised her to ignore her detractors.


Friday, 6 February 2015

Police officers transferred over FDC Calendars
Bukuri Kakooza
Mbale
A total of 7 police officers were transferred from Islamic University in Uganda (IUIU) police station yesterday to different police stations in Mbale on allegations that they are supporters of Uganda’s largest opposition Party, Forum for Democratic Change (FDC).
The drama was at IUIU gate when bodaboda men came with the Posters containing calendars of Mbale Municipality MP Jack Wamanga Wamai who is in FDC and tried to enter the University in the presence of an intelligence officer who was in plain cloth and alleged that he is attached to Bugema Army Barracks. The officer ordered one of the police men who was at the gate to tell the bodaboda men to go away with their posters and if they resist arrest one of them. The police man ignored him and asked him on which grounds. “What have they done or I arrest them on which case”. Police man added.
On the following day the same police man brought in the posters early in the morning and started to supply them and kept the remaining one at the station. According to one of the security guards at the gate who requested not to be mentioned for the safety of his job, the officers who were transferred some of them were FDC diehards and others were unlucky because they did not know what has caused their transfer and they did not participate in any poster supplying work like their colleagues. He added that some received 200,000 Ugandan Shillings to do the work.
When I contacted the Elgon region Police spokesperson, Superintendent of police Ms Nandawula Diana, she said that she was not aware of the transfer and promised to call back after collecting the information from the District Police Commander whom she said is the one responsible for district transfers.